26 Apr 2016

Raspberry Pi VS Arduino Uno : The Showdown

Arduino VS Raspberry Pi : The Showdown

In the modern world, almost everyone who is into embedded programming with electronics have either an Arduino Uno or a Raspberry Pi. Many people believe that both of them do the same thing and that it is only the price that sets them apart.






It is only when we look into the details that we can find some differences between the two. Let's get straight into it. 


Under the hood

Let's look at some of the specs of the Arduino Uno and the Raspberry Pi B+ as they are the most common once used.



Except that the Raspberry Pi does not have analog pins. It looks as if Raspberry Pi has already won. But there are some differences that make the Arduino a good competitor. Read on to find out !


The Basic Differences

The Arduino is a micro controller which means that when it boots up, it just runs the code that is assigned to it, it has no Operating System. It is a part of a computer. But the Raspberry Pi is a full fledged computer. This may seem advantageous to the Pi in all ways, but it is not so.

Since the Raspberry Pi is a full fledged computer which runs on Linux distributions, it gives you more power and flexibility. But most advantages come with a disadvantage. In this case the disadvantage is complexity. 



 Since the Arduino has no Operating System, it runs the code assigned to it with no background processes to handle thus it is better in terms of reading real time input from sensors , etc.. But the Raspberry Pi might take a while as it runs on an OS and needs to process that extra bit more.

One major difference is that in order to program or use a Raspberry Pi you WILL need an SD card with the required OS ,  keyboard, mouse and and a HD display compatible with HDMI ports The Arduino requires a serial cable and a computer running Windows  XP or later .

Apart from these major differences, there are some other minor differences as well.


Input/ Output Pins 

The Raspberry Pi has a " 3.3 V " Logic where as an Arduino has a "5V" one.
This can be good or bad as some components have a 5V output where as some have 3.3 V. 




The Arduino having a 5V logic can handle 3.3V as well as 5V.But this is not true vice versa.




Do note that the  Raspberry Pi does not have a good history on  handling a  5V output for even a second ! That does put down the Raspberry Pi quiet a bit considering MOST DIY elements these days are powered by 5V.

DC Input

The Arduino and the Raspberry Pi can run on the usual 5V DC input (a.k.a from a USB phone charger.) The Raspberry Pi cannot handle anything above 5V. The Arduino Uno on the other hand is can handle anything from 5V to 20 V as it has an on board regulator.

Unlike Arduino the Raspberry Pi as a computer needs a steady supply of very good quality of 5V. If not there would be some lockups and problems.

Also, the Arduino can run straight of a 9 V battery as it saves the code from the previous session.

Analog Pins

Unlike the Raspberry Pi, the Arduino can directly read analog voltage as it already has an ADC( analog to digtal converter) on board which the Raspberry Pi does not have.

 This does mean that you have to take that extra step on converting it in the Raspberry Pi which might cause some hiccups during the process .

Audio/Video

The Raspberry PI is capable of playing back video files at FULL HD and audio files at a good quality while the Arduino is incapable of doing that.Although the Arduino can make tones using a Piezo element , it cannot play Audio straight off without a sound card / sound shield .

The Arduino also cannot play video as it does not have the video card/ Audio card. This is reasonably acceptable as the Arduino is only a Micro- Controller and is not built for Video/Audio output.

The Raspberry Pi can also RECORD video if you have a compatible webcam. Where as the Arduino Uno denies the opportunity .


Wireless Capabilities 


The Raspberry Pi is capable of connecting to the Wi Fi just by hooking it up to the attachment.
Where as the Arduino needs its more expensive Wi Fi shield . This might be a disadvantage .

The Rasperry Pi also can connect to bluetooth with the help of the bluetooth module. The same goes to the Arduino Uno .

Choosing the Right One

Choosing the right board heavily depends on your project that you will be doing. Here is the compiled list of some of the projects.

If you are doing with something which involves reading input from sensors, then Arduino would be your best bet as it has a good compatibility with most sensors whether it is Analog or digital.


If you are making a project that has a graphical user interface, then the Raspberry Pi would be the one for you as it can handle Video and Audio output whereas the Arduino cannot.

If you are a beginner to electronics, DIY , etc ... ,  then the Arduino would be you best bet as there is a big community out there which could help you to get up and running.

To Sum Up

Both these boards are really good when compared to each other but these both do different things.The choice is left upon the type of project that you will be working on.

These differences have  covered  all of what you need until you get fairly advanced. If you are that advanced person you can also combine them both to make a deadly combination ! For now
happy hacking !

_______________________________________________________________

If you want me to make any changes or if you want to do it , feel free to do so.

Sources = Images : Google Images . Specs : http://www.arduino.cchttps://www.raspberrypi.org/

6 comments:

  1. I still don’t know the right words to express my gratitude to this great man Dr Isibor. After been diagnosed of HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS in 2months ago, i was given so many health prescription and advice with no improvement, I totally lost hope, until i found testimonies of Great Dr Isibor online research and on Facebook, Like anybody would be, I was very skeptical about contacting him, but i later did and he opened up to me and told me what was involved and he started the remedies for my health. Thank God, i was cured from herpes by the herbal medication I received from him. I never thought that herpes can be cured, from the bottom of my heart I'm truly grateful,i pray you have long life so you can help many more people on earth with your herbal medical support, You can Email him via email drisiborspellhome@gmail.com or for easy and fast communication you can also call or add him on whats-app with this mobile number +2348107855231, one thing i love most about DR Isibor is honestly, and he is very polite with his patience, everything he told me what he did, and his herbal medicine are very affordable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was depressed when doctor told me that I have been diagnosed with Herpes disease… I thought about my Family, I know my Family will face a serious problem when I'm gone, I lost hope and I wept all day, but one day I was searching the internet I found Dr.ezomo contact number. +2349069171173 I called him and he guided me. I asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for my health. Thank God, now everything is fine, I'm cured by Dr.ezomo herbal medicine, I'm very thankful to Dr.ezomo and very happy with my hubby and family. email him on dr.ezomorootandherbals@gmail.com or you can also reach him through WhatsApp number+2349069171173
    He can also cure so many sickness
    {1}HIV And AIDS
    {2}Diabetes
    {3}Epilepsy
    {4}Blood Cancer
    {5}HPV
    {7}ALS
    {8}Hepatitis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Everyone out there,I am here to give my testimony about a Herbalist doctor who helped me . I was infected with HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS in 2012, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so I was thinking how can I get a solution out so that my body can be okay. One day I was in the river side thinking where I can go to get solution. so a lady walked to me telling me why am I so sad and i open up all to her telling her my problem, she told me that she can help me out, she introduce me to a doctor who uses herbal medication to cure HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS and gave me his email, so i mail him. He told me all the things I need to do and also give me instructions to take, which I followed properly. Before I knew what is happening after two weeks the HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS that was in my body got vanished . so if you are also heart broken and also need a help, you can also email him at {oliha.miraclemedicine@gmail.com}
    or whatsapp him number: +2349038382931.

    Contact him today and you will have a testimony...Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete